RE: st: RE: (New) Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: RE: (New) Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...
Date   Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:06:08 +0100

Whether the bug is Bob's or Google's, it's stochastic for me. Sometimes
I get through, sometimes I don't. (Experience on quite different
machines.)

Having read it just now, I have two comments:

1. This document repeats a misconception already corrected publicly

<http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalist
.1006/date/article-1172.html>

-- namely that SSC downloads are in some sense equivalent to Stata
downloads. Downloads from Stata's own website and from user-maintained
sites other than SSC are not included in SSC data. I don't have any
figures for Bob, but I am confident that SSC data alone greatly
underestimate download activity. You only have to realise that all
-update-s are excluded to see that. Of course, SSC data are of interest
in their own right, but at best they are a proxy for Stata activity in
total.

2. statalist and statalist-digest are managed separately. I just did a
count, and got 3696 members as a total. I checked and found only 48
people sad or keen enough to subscribe to the list and the digest. Thus
the number of Statalist subscribers is currently above 3600. (The number
of list and digest subscribers is currently about equal, so it's clear
that Bob counted list but not digest, or perhaps vice versa.)

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob)

Nick Cox

>But the third time didn't work. Sorry, but there it is.

I've heard from a few people who say they have trouble. I've hit it here
from several computers, browsers, etc. I've personally only seen this
happen once, a couple of months ago. I suspect a Google Sites bug. -Bob