st: AW: Remove numbers from variable name

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: AW: Remove numbers from variable name
Date   Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:53:32 +0200

<>

"are you" is not a valid name. To make names valid you can always use
-strtoname-, though.

For your substitution, look at -subinstr()-. Why not put the question in the
-var label- or a -note- to the variable?

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Im Auftrag von Rasika Raghavan
Gesendet: Montag, 28. Juni 2010 15:34
An: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Betreff: st: Remove numbers from variable name

All,

I am working on survey data, and my variable names are like
"question5doyouhave.." , "question6areyou..." and so on. I have around
50 such similarly named variables..

I need to know whether there is a way i can specify that the number be
removed from the variable name, and maybe if possible the "question"
bit also.

i.e a sort of
rename question5doyouhave doyouhave
rename question6areyou are you

Is there any way to do this without specifying each variables old and new
name?

Rasika