st: Remove numbers from variable name

From   Rasika Raghavan <>
Subject   st: Remove numbers from variable name
Date   Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:03:50 +0530

I am working on survey data, and my variable names are like
"question5doyouhave.." , "question6areyou..." and so on. I have around
50 such similarly named variables..

I need to know whether there is a way i can specify that the number be
removed from the variable name, and maybe if possible the "question"
bit also.

i.e a sort of
rename question5doyouhave doyouhave
rename question6areyou are you

Is there any way to do this without specifying each variables old and new name?