st: Stata's update [was: Error: c(showbaselevels) undefined]

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Stata's update [was: Error: c(showbaselevels) undefined]
Date   Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:44:08 -0400

We're in the midst of another round of people having problems with ado and exe updates being out of sync.

Which raises again the question: why does Stata continue to distinguish among ado, exe, and utility updates, and why does it allow users to update each without updating the others (when available)? This seems like a level of information and control that users don't need.

Why not have a single "update all" facility that does the following:

(1) download all available updates (exe, ado, utilities) to a temporary area.

(2) confirm that all did download

(3) automatically do an -update swap-, which swaps the exe if needed AND (only if that worked) moves the ado and utility files from the temporary area to the relevant update area.

I suppose this is a question for StataCorp, but I'm curious if anyone sees compelling reasons for Stata NOT to act that way.

- Nick Winter