st: RE: Comparing Variable Name Labels Between Datasets

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Comparing Variable Name Labels Between Datasets
Date   Mon, 17 May 2010 13:13:58 +0100

Thanks for thread closure.

It looks as if you are using some ancient version of Stata.

-webseek- is out of date as of Stata 7.

-strparse- (SSC) is something that any users of Stata 7 might find useful, but for Stata 8 upwards the official command -split- is the thing to use.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Beth Gifford

Both suggestions were helpful and taught me something.  I thought I'd
share what I think my final solution will be in case it can help
someone else.

Use descsave [by Roger Newson]

--then I had left out a step from my original email which is to parse
the information in the variable label (variables are labeled V154:
drinks per week).
*I use strparse by Blasnik and Cox  (webseek strparse)

--then I use cf to compare across 2 datasets for relevant variables.