RE: st: RE: How to define shortest possible period with 95% of observations

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: How to define shortest possible period with 95% of observations
Date   Wed, 12 May 2010 20:13:38 +0100

What you outline is not what I was recommending. It's an awkward
half-way house.

But in terms of your new question, see

SJ-6-4  dm0025  . . . . . . . . . .  Stata tip 36: Which observations?
Erratum
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N.
J. Cox
        Q4/06   SJ 6(4):596                              (no commands)
        correction of example code for Stata tip 36

SJ-6-3  dm0025  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Stata tip 36: Which
observations?
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N.
J. Cox
        Q3/06   SJ 6(3):430--432                                 (no
commands)
        tip for identifying which observations satisfy some
        specified condition

Daniel Mueller

Thanks.

In the code below I did my best to think in fire years by defining the
peak fire day (these are always unique) as the middle of the year. Then
I'd like to place the maximum into a local macro (where I fail miserably

in line 2 as Steve rightly pointed out):

qui su no_fire_day
loc yearstart = Day[r(max)] - 183
loc yearend = `yearstart' + 365

My simple question is how I can place the Day where no_fires_day =
r(max) into a local macro?

(I ignore leap years for the sake of simplicity..)

Nick Cox wrote on 5/12/2010 10:44 PM:
> Without looking at this in detail, it seems to me that you might
benefit
> from thinking in terms of fire years, rather than calendar years,
> starting on some day other than January 1.  After all, all sorts of
> different sciences, not to mention religions, have years that don't
> coincide with conventional Western calendar years: fiscal years, water
> years, academic years, etc., etc.
>
> Several pertinent -egen- functions are included in -egenmore- on SSC.
>
> In other words, define the time scale in terms of those fire years;
then
> Robert's code will probably not need any complicated adjustments.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Daniel Mueller
>
> Robert, this works like charm!!! Thanks a bunch for this neat code.
Also

> thanks to Nick for pointing me to -shorth- which I will certainly
> explore in more detail after having sipped through the extensive
> reference list.
>
> Using Roberts code I can seamlessly loop over the nine years of data
and

> generate the shortest fire season per year with 95% of obs. The
results
> suggested an additional complication.. For some subsets the shortest
> possible period likely starts a couple of days before Jan 1st, at the
> end of the preceding year.
>
> I tweaked Roberts code a little to loop over years and defined the
> middle of a year as the peak fire day. The code runs through, yet sets
> the start of the fire season for some subsets to Jan 1st, while my
> educated guess is that it should be somewhere around mid to end of
> December. Something went wrong, but I can't spot the glitch in the
code
> below. Can someone please help?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,
> Daniel
>

> *** start
> forv y = `yearfirst'/`yearlast' {
>
> * keep previous year
>    if `y' != `yearfirst' {
>     keep if Year == `y' | Year == (`y'-1)
>    }
>    bys Day: g no_fire_day = _N
>    qui su no_fire_day
>
> * define year to start 183 days before peak fire day
>    loc yearstart = Day[r(max)] - 183
>    loc yearend = `yearstart' + 365
>    keep if Day>  `yearstart'&  Day<  `yearend' // or with
egen->rotate?