st: How to define shortest possible period with 95% of observations

From   Daniel Mueller <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: How to define shortest possible period with 95% of observations
Date   Mon, 10 May 2010 10:29:07 +0700

Hi there.

I have a strongly unbalanced panel with 100,000 observations (=fire occurrences per day) that contain between none (no fire) and 3,000 fires per day for 8 years. The fire events peak in March and April with about 85-90% of the yearly total.

My question is how I can define the shortest possible continuous period of days for each year that contains 95% of all yearly fires. The length and width of the periods may slightly differ across the years due to climate and other parameters.

I am sure there is a neat trick in Stata for this, yet I have not spotted it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development
in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO)
Geomatics Lab | Geography Department
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Theodor-Lieser-Str. 2 | 06120 Halle (Saale) | Germany
Ph.: +49(0)345-2928 328 | Fax: +49(0)345-2928 399 |