st: Store datafile at minimum possible file size

From   Michael Boehm <>
Subject   st: Store datafile at minimum possible file size
Date   Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:28:59 +0100

Dear statalisters,

I have a big datafile (2 string variables, 2 numeric one, 10million
observations) created in Stata and want to save it in the smallest
version possible. I have tried out the "outfile" command to write it
as an ASCII, but as far as I understand this doesn't give me the
smallest ASCII file possible. Can anyone help?