Re: st: Store datafile at minimum possible file size

From   Abdel Rahmen El Lahga <>
Subject   Re: st: Store datafile at minimum possible file size
Date   Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:15:56 +0200

In my experience the best solution is to zip immediatlt the stata file
without using ascci format. If we try
set mem 2g
set obs 10000000
gen str12 var1 ="abcdefghijkl"
gen str14 var2 ="abcdefghijklmn"
gen var3 =rnormal()
gen var4 =runiform()
qui save data_boehm , replace
outfile using "ascii_boehm.raw", replace
-rw-r--r--    1 abdelrahmenlahga  staff  550000000 Apr 16 12:05 ascii_boehm.raw
-rw-r--r--    1 abdelrahmenlahga  staff  340000912 Apr 16 12:00 data_boehm.dta
As you can see the ascii file is much bigger than the Stata one.
you can zip it to reduce the file zize to about 85m

2010/4/16 Michael Boehm <>:
> Dear statalisters,
> I have a big datafile (2 string variables, 2 numeric one, 10million
> observations) created in Stata and want to save it in the smallest
> version possible. I have tried out the "outfile" command to write it
> as an ASCII, but as far as I understand this doesn't give me the
> smallest ASCII file possible. Can anyone help?
> Mike
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *