RE: AW: st: Grouping variables

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: AW: st: Grouping variables
Date   Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:26:46 -0000

Kit Baum discussed a good approach using -merge- in this FAQ:

Eric Booth

if you've got more than 10 cities that your assigning to a province,
inlist() will hit its limit, but you can use a loop:

	g province = ""
	local cities b c d h i j k l m n o p q r s t
foreach c of local cities {
	replace province = "a" if city=="`c'"

On Mar 5, 2010, at 7:26 AM, Martin Weiss wrote:
> gen province=a if (city=="b"|city=="c"|city=="d")
> replace province=b if (city=="e"|city=="f"|city=="g")
> Those province identifiers would have to carry quotation marks around
> *************
> clear*
> inp str1 city
> end
> gen str1 province="a" if inlist(city, "b","c","d")
> replace province="b" if inlist(city, "e","f","g")
> list, noo
> Better still, assign numeric identifiers, and use a -value label- to
> represent the strings...

Katya Mauff