AW: st: Grouping variables

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   AW: st: Grouping variables
Date   Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:26:58 +0100

<>

"

gen province=a if (city=="b"|city=="c"|city=="d")
replace province=b if (city=="e"|city=="f"|city=="g")

"

Those province identifiers would have to carry quotation marks around them:

*************
clear*
inp str1 city
end

gen str1 province="a" if inlist(city, "b","c","d")
replace province="b" if inlist(city, "e","f","g")

list, noo

Better still, assign numeric identifiers, and use a -value label- to
represent the strings...

HTH
Martin