Re: st: Can Stata underline?

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Can Stata underline?
Date   Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:13:30 -0600

> I just upgraded to 11, but I can't find this text formatting feature
> anywhere.

Yes, Stata can underline--just not in graph text.  That is, Stata can underline via the SMCL tag {ul:} in the viewer and results windows (i.e.,  the help files) , but from the graph_text help file your referenced it appears that not all of the SMCL tags are legal in graphs.

While you can use the {it:} tag for italics, as in the example the help file gives:

scatter mpg weight, title("This is {it:italics} in a graph title")

if you substitute the {ul:} tag, it doesnt work:

scatter mpg weight, title("This is {ul:underline} in a graph title")

(if you use {bf:} it does create boldface type in graph text, but it doesn't appear that {hi:} works with graphs either)

However, you can format text elsewhere to have underlining, for example:

****
sysuse auto, clear

di `"Not Underlined,  {ul:Underlined Text Goes Here}, or {stata `"desc"':Stata Command Goes {ul:HERE}}"'
***
((note: the -di- command above may wrap in email format, be sure to unwrap it in your command line/do-file))

~ Eric
__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute