Re: st: RE: AW: help with twoway bar chart using by option

From   Miranda Kim <mk@mrc.soton.ac.uk>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: AW: help with twoway bar chart using by option
Date   Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:54:01 +0000

Thank you Nick and Martin for your suggestions!
I really appreciate your help,
Best wishes,
Miranda

Nick Cox wrote:
This may help you start.
sysuse auto, clear
collapse (mean) mean = mpg, by(foreign rep78) gen text = cond(foreign, "goodbye", "hello") su mean, meanonly gen y = 1.1* r(max) gen x = 4 twoway bar mean rep78, by(foreign) || scatter y x, ms(none) mla(text)

Nick n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk
Martin Weiss

You want to look at

*************
help added_text_options
*************

Miranda Kim

I am a Stata v11 user, and would very much appreciate any suggestions on

the following:

I would like to produce a twoway bar chart using the by option, for
example:

For example:
sysuse auto, clear
collapse (mean) mean = mpg, by(foreign rep78)
twoway bar mean rep78, by(foreign)

I would then like to insert a different text box in each plot area.

So in the example above, how could I insert a text box in the "Domestic"

plot area that says "hello" and a textbox in the foreign area that says "goodbye"?

At present, I only know how to insert a textbox that is replicated in both plot areas...

The graph I am producing has many more formatting specifications to make

it look nice, but I have just used the above example to help illustrate the specific issue I cannot, at present, resolve.