Re: Re: Re: st: update seqlogit

Subject   Re: Re: Re: st: update seqlogit
Date   Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:10:51 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 18/2/10, angelrlaso@gmail.com wrote:
> Now the categories  are: 1 moved 2 absent 3 long absence
> 4 refusal 5 interviewed.
>
> In relation with the "multinomial" transition, I definitively
> do not want to merge the categories absent (what mainly means
> "at work") and long  absence (mainly meaning "on vacation").
> But if I follow your second  proposal, I don't understand very
> well what I'm modelling.
> It seems that  the transition 3 4: 5 6 (that now should be
> 2 3: 4 5) is just merging the  two categories and the
> transition 3:4 (now 2:3) is the transition between  being
> absent and being in long absence, which for me it is not a
> transition
> (you are either absent or in long absence, but both are
> deadways in comparison with being at home).

I saw this as follows:
transition 1, you either got the right adress or not
1 : 2 3 4 5

transition 2, given that you got the right adress, someone
is either there or not
2 3 : 4 5

transition 3, given that nobody is not at home, that could
be because of short absense or long absense
2 : 3

transition 4, given that somebody is at home, that
person can either participate or not
4 : 5

If you don't care about the difference between short
absense and long absens ("both are deadways in comparison
with being at home") then you can combine them. If you
combine them, then you'll need to do so in your variable,
you cannot just leave transition three out without
changing your dependent variable.

> Seqlogit coefficients are congruent with this only for the
> sex variable, but not for age nor origin

This is not a difference between -seqlogit- and -logit-,
actually there can be none, instead the difference is due
to the fact that in one you included interaction terms and in
the other you did not.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis