st: AW: Martin and Maarten

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: AW: Martin and Maarten
Date   Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:34:34 +0100

<>

Thanks to Nick for that, I had pretty much given up on reminding listers
about the distinction since I regarded it as a waste of their precious time!

Let me add:

6. Maarten works at the department of sociology, while Martin works at the
department of economics. Bookmark
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=gr0042 if you think it
helps :-)

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Im Auftrag von Nick Cox
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2010 15:27
An: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Betreff: st: Martin and Maarten

In order to reduce confusions that are continually arising, I offer this
handy guide drawing upon personal experience to list members who
occasionally or persistently confuse Maarten Buis and Martin Weiss.

1. Maarten Buis is very keen on Stata and a very active member of this list.
Martin Weiss is very keen on Stata and a very active member of this list.
Admittedly, that doesn't help much.

2. Maarten is Dutch and Martin is German. That doesn't help much for those
who can't tell the difference, not least because both of them usually post
in English.

3. Maarten and Martin both currently are based in Tübingen, Germany.

4. Maarten is fairly tall and Martin is very tall. This helps a lot, and is
highly memorable, but only at users' meetings or other social gatherings at
which both are present.

5. Maarten always posts as Maarten and Martin as Martin, at least as far as
I know. This is the only reliable diagnostic.

Now that has all been explained, no further confusion should arise.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk