st: Martin and Maarten

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Martin and Maarten
Date   Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:27:22 -0000

In order to reduce confusions that are continually arising, I offer this handy guide drawing upon personal experience to list members who occasionally or persistently confuse Maarten Buis and Martin Weiss.

1. Maarten Buis is very keen on Stata and a very active member of this list. Martin Weiss is very keen on Stata and a very active member of this list. Admittedly, that doesn't help much.

2. Maarten is Dutch and Martin is German. That doesn't help much for those who can't tell the difference, not least because both of them usually post in English.

3. Maarten and Martin both currently are based in Tübingen, Germany.

4. Maarten is fairly tall and Martin is very tall. This helps a lot, and is highly memorable, but only at users' meetings or other social gatherings at which both are present.

5. Maarten always posts as Maarten and Martin as Martin, at least as far as I know. This is the only reliable diagnostic.

Now that has all been explained, no further confusion should arise.