st: comparing datasets by string variable

From   "Alessandro Gambini" <a.gambini@univpm.it>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: comparing datasets by string variable
Date   Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:13:50 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I need to compare two datasets (the first with 4416 obs. and the second with 144000 obs) by a string variable (which after using recast command has now the same dimension in both datasets). The string variable is something like "Surname".

What I need to do is to find which observations, identified by this variable, belong to both datasets.

I am afraid that the cf command is useless in this case, since the two datasets have different dimension. Am I wrong? How can I approach the problem?

Thank you very much.

Alessandro Gambini

Alessandro Gambini - PhD Economist
Dipartimento di Economia e Mo.Fi.R.