st: AW: comparing datasets by string variable

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: comparing datasets by string variable
Date   Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:07:44 +0100

Have you tried to -merge- on the string variable and look at the _merge
variable that Stata generates?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Alessandro
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. Februar 2010 13:14
Betreff: st: comparing datasets by string variable

Dear Statalisters,

I need to compare two datasets (the first with 4416 obs. and the second with
144000 obs) by a string variable (which after using recast command has now
the same dimension in both datasets). The string variable is something like

What I need to do is to find which observations, identified by this
variable, belong to both datasets.

I am afraid that the cf command is useless in this case, since the two
datasets have different dimension. Am I wrong? How can I approach the

Thank you very much.

Alessandro Gambini

Alessandro Gambini - PhD Economist
Dipartimento di Economia e Mo.Fi.R.