Re: st: RE: DHS data

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: DHS data
Date   Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:15:37 -0500

The command used by Bola to generate a household ID (gen hhid1 = v001
+ v002) does not create unique identifiers. Take the following
observations:

1. v001 = 1, v002 = 11
2. v001 = 11, v002 = 1

v001 + v002 is 12 for both observations. -concat- does also not create
unique identifiers with the given data. With -concat-, the new
variable contains the value 111 for both observations.

The datasets for households and children from DHS surveys contain the
same identifying information and it is not necessary to create new
variables. In the household recode file, the cluster number is in
variable hv001 and the household number in variable hv002. In the
children's recode file, the cluster number is in variable v001 and the
household number in variable v002.

To merge the data, rename variables v001 and v002 in the children's
file to hv001 and hv002, sort both datasets by hv001 and hv002 and
save them. You can then open the household file and merge it with the
children's file with this command:

. merge 1:m hv001 hv002 using aokr51fl.dta

If you don't have Stata 11 but an older version, merge the files with
this command:

. merge hv001 hv002 using aokr51fl.dta

Friedrich