st: RE: DHS data

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: DHS data
Date   Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:49:33 -0000

My guess is that you are losing uniqueness in your concatenation of

See for example the thread starting

An alternative approach is to work with the string identifier

egen hhid1 = concat(v001 v002)

Bolanle Bukoye

I am writing to inquire if you could help me with some issues that I am
having with merging the dhs data. I am using the data from Angola and
Tanzania for my thesis. In merging the child and household data for
Angola, I keep getting error messages on stata.
I used the household dataset as the base dataset and cluster number and
household number as the key variables as suggested on the DHS website.

My stata code is
. gen hhid1 = v001 + v002
. sort hhid1
. merge unique using "C:\Users\bola\Documents\Fall
2009\Thesis\AOKR51FL.DTA", uniqmaster

While the household data set is open, I use the merge drop down menu-->
select one to many key variables, choose child data set and select the
hhid1 variable that I just created.

Here is the error message that I received on stata : "variable hhid1
does not uniquely identify observations in the master data"