st: RE: DHS data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: DHS data
Date   Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:49:33 -0000

My guess is that you are losing uniqueness in your concatenation of
identifiers.

See for example the thread starting

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-10/msg01256.html

An alternative approach is to work with the string identifier

egen hhid1 = concat(v001 v002)

Bolanle Bukoye

I am writing to inquire if you could help me with some issues that I am
having with merging the dhs data. I am using the data from Angola and
Tanzania for my thesis. In merging the child and household data for
Angola, I keep getting error messages on stata.
I used the household dataset as the base dataset and cluster number and
household number as the key variables as suggested on the DHS website.

My stata code is
. gen hhid1 = v001 + v002
. sort hhid1
. merge unique using "C:\Users\bola\Documents\Fall
2009\Thesis\AOKR51FL.DTA", uniqmaster

While the household data set is open, I use the merge drop down menu-->
select one to many key variables, choose child data set and select the
hhid1 variable that I just created.

Here is the error message that I received on stata : "variable hhid1
does not uniquely identify observations in the master data"