st: DHS data

From   Bolanle Bukoye <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: DHS data
Date   Thu, 05 Nov 2009 00:37:52 -0500

To whom it may concern:

I hope this email finds you well.

I am writing to inquire if you could help me with some issues that I am having with merging the dhs data. I am using the data from Angola and Tanzania for my thesis. In merging the child and household data for Angola, I keep getting error messages on stata.
I used the household dataset as the base dataset and cluster number and household number as the key variables as suggested on the DHS website.

My stata code is
. gen hhid1 = v001 + v002
. sort hhid1
. merge unique using "C:\Users\bola\Documents\Fall 2009\Thesis\AOKR51FL.DTA", uniqmaster

While the household data set is open, I use the merge drop down menu--> select one to many key variables, choose child data set and select the hhid1 variable that I just created.

Here is the error message that I received on stata : "variable hhid1 does not uniquely identify observations in the master data"

I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with some guidance on this.
Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Bola.

Bolanle Bukoye