st: Problems adding large numbers

From   Shruti Kapoor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Problems adding large numbers
Date   Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:53:55 -0700

Hi All,

I need some help, i have a huge individual level dataset. I am trying to generate a new variable x which is the sum of my household id(HHID) and person number in each household (PERNUM) for some condition if it is true.

The problem i am facing is that at very large values of HHID lets say 16817000, if the PERNUM is 4 and 5 if should generate variable x = 16817004 and 16817005. What stata is doing is rounding off the numbers so that i am getting the same values for both PERNUM 4 and 5. This is a problem because it is no longer creating a unique value of X which i need.

I string to convert the two variables into string and then creating x = HHID + PERNUM, but now i am getting answers like 1.68e10+05. How can i resolve this issue such that it creates a unique value for each individual in the household and x stays numeric?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Shruti