st: AW: Problems adding large numbers

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: Problems adding large numbers
Date   Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:45:16 +0100

set obs 2
gen double HHID=16817000

gen PERNUM=4
replace PERNUM= 5 in 2

gen double x=HHID+PERNUM

list, noo

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Shruti Kapoor
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2009 06:54
Betreff: st: Problems adding large numbers

Hi All,

I need some help, i have a huge individual level dataset. I am trying to
generate a new variable x which is the sum of my household id(HHID) and
person number in each household (PERNUM) for some condition if it is true.

The problem i am facing is that at very large values of HHID lets say
16817000, if the PERNUM is 4 and 5 if should generate variable x = 16817004
and 16817005. What stata is doing is rounding off the numbers so that i am
getting the same values for both PERNUM 4 and 5. This is a problem because
it is no longer creating a unique value of X which i need.

I string to convert the two variables into string and then creating x = HHID
+ PERNUM, but now i am getting answers like 1.68e10+05. How can i resolve
this issue such that it creates a unique value for each individual in the
household and x stays numeric?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,