st: RE: st: C-statistic with -gologit2-

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: st: C-statistic with -gologit2-
Date   Wed, 7 Oct 2009 19:30:59 +0100

In the case of ordinal regression, instead of using the predicted probability, you should use the linear predictor, computed using -predict- with the -xb- option. This linear predictor is an ordinal predictor of the outcome. It then makes sense to use the c-statistic, although the confidence intervals should only be taken seriously if calculated (using out-of-sample prediction) in a different dataset from the dataset in which the ordinal model was fitted.

In the case of mlogit, there are multiple linear predictors, interpreted as the log odds ratios (per X-unit) of the various non-baseline outcomes compared to the baseline outcome. In that case, the c-statistic for the linear predictor for each non-baseline outcome only makes sense if restricted to observations with either that non-baseline outcome or the baseline outcome.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics