Re: st: problems with usersite

From   "Eric A. Booth" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problems with usersite
Date   Tue, 15 Sep 2009 01:49:19 -0500

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Jeremy Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:

However, when I ask Stata to do something with the files, I get an error
message.  For example:

. copy http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/iqv.ado iqv.ado
file http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/iqv.ado not found

When I ran -copy- with the same command you listed, I got an error, but changing it to the following allowed me to copy "iqv.ado" from your webpage:

 copy "http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/"; iqv.ado, replace

. use http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/gss2002.dta,clear
file http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/gss2002.dta not found

When I tried using -net- it failed with the error:

***
. net from  "http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/";
file http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/stata.toc not found
http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/ either
  1)  is not a valid URL, or
  2)  could not be contacted, or
  3)  is not a Stata download site (has no stata.toc file).
***

When I use -webuse set- and -webuse- to try and use "gss2002.dta", it fails, however if I -copy- the file, it downloads to my machine. While Sergiy reports that he can open your file from Stata, I cannot. It tells me that it is not Stata format. (( I am using Stata 11MP for Mac (10.6) ))

***
. webuse set  "http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/";
(prefix now "http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu";)
r; t=0.00 1:02:40

. webuse gss2002.dta, clear
file http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/gss2002.dta not found

. copy "http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/"; gss2002.dta, replace
r; t=0.23 1:04:04

. use gss2002.dta
file gss2002.dta not Stata format
r(610); t=0.01 1:04:05
***

When I use Stata to examine user sites that other people have created I
don't have any problems.

I have read the Stata help file for creating a user site
(http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?usersite)
I have also looked at some posts to the statalist for help
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-02/msg00294.html)
Mark Lunt was also kind enough to verify for me that the files can be seen
with wget.

Using -curl- (similar to wget) I can download your gss2002.dta file and it opens in Stata without error.

 !curl -o "gss2002.dta" "http://jeremyr.myweb.uga.edu/gss2002.dta";

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out why Stata does not see the
files I have posted on my site.
Any idea what is wrong?

When Sergiy states in his reply:

1) I don't have troubles accessing your files from Stata (for example,
the average age of 1496 observations in your sample is 46.20655).
Perhaps the problem is already resolved on your end, but make sure
that you are using the proper version of Stata, e.g. if the files were
created in Stata 10 or 11, don't try to open them in Stata 9.

I wonder what commands (and what version of Stata) he uses to access your files directly, & more importantly, what I am doing wrong here that produces a different outcome.

Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute