Re: st: Setting up a web site to allow downloads from within Stata

From   Mark Lunt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Setting up a web site to allow downloads from within Stata
Date   Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:25:07 +0000

Verkuilen, Jay wrote:
Hello all,

I'm in the process of setting up a good, i.e., not run on uni servers
and coded by an amateur like me :), web page for classes and want to
allow students to get Stata files for homework from the web.
I've been reading the documentation and see that you have to put a file
stata.toc in the directory with the Stata files. Anyone have an example
stata.toc I can see?
I've put all my course materials for an "Introduction to Statistical Modelling with Stata" course on the web. You don't strictly need a stata.toc file in that context, although it may be useful. There are a couple of ways people can get at my stuff:

In stata, type

net from http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/mark.lunt

then click on the blue "stats"
Each session is set up as a package, and can be installed from within stata by clicking on the blue "click here to get" (all of the files are "ancillary files" since none of them are ado-files and should not be kept in the ado-file directory.

Alternatively, you can point a browser at http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/mark.lunt/stats_course.html, and get the files in the browser from there. For the handouts, that is (in my opinion) the easiest way to do it. For the datasets, its possible to get them that way, but far easier is to type

use http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/mark.lunt/stats/filename

in stata (the exact location of the relevant dataset needs to be given in the handout).

Anyway, you should be able to read the contents of my .toc and .pkg files if you wish to take that approach, and see the source for stats_course.html if you want to do it that way.

Hope that's some help

Mark

*
* For searches and help try: