RE: st: AW: egen cut(runiform()) inconsistent across versions 10 and 11?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: AW: egen cut(runiform()) inconsistent across versions 10 and 11?
Date   Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:50:36 +0100

Thanks for your support.

I can see why you suggest a weekly email. There are pluses and minuses to that idea too. On balance, I don't think it is attractive. By the way, I don't think we should divide this into new users who don't follow advice and old users who do. There is a 2 X 2 table there somewhere.

As most people will realise, each posting carries a reminder of the FAQ URL. However, most people read downwards from the top until satisfied and many people never edit previous emails, so that reminder is often lost. I'm nevertheless loath to suggest putting that stuff at the top -- even if it were possible.

Kieran McCaul

I have to agree with Nick.  Computers and software are tools of the trade and it is each individuals responsibility to develop some level of mastery of these tools.  Most people never do this; they use software as it comes, straight out of the box.

Perhaps for new users what might be helpful is an standard "New Users" email that appears at regular intervals on the Statalist that simply tells them to post in plain text and points them, yet again, to the relevant FAQ.  If Martin is getting 1 to 5 private emails a week concerning access to the list, then perhaps such an email could be posted every week.