st: egen cut(runiform()) inconsistent across versions 10 and 11?

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: egen cut(runiform()) inconsistent across versions 10 and 11?
Date   Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:18:50 -0400

Hi all,

I tried to discuss with you this little 'bug' (or feature) yesterday,
I just realized emails set up as the default in GMail don't make it to
the Statalist. Lesson learnt. (If this is a duplicate, I am very
sorry.)

I used the command -egen treat = cut(runiform()), group(2)- with
success on a copy of Stata 10 locally, with executables and ado files
updated to last week's builds. When I give the same command to Stata
11 on a UNIX cluster, it reports the error "invalid, variable name
expected". This is the case even if I add "version 10:" to the command
(-version 10: egen treat = cut(runiform()), group(2)-).

Why is this the case? I didn't find the change documented. And
shouldn't -version- solve this in any case?

(Of course, I can work around this, but still, what's wrong with
efficient and elegant code? And why only recently?)

Many thanks,

Laszlo