Re: st: test difference in quintiles

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: test difference in quintiles
Date   Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:05:03 +0100

<>

I will assume your conditioning variables Y & Z are binary.

In the -auto- dataset, consider that you want to test the difference
in the 5th percentile of the variable "mpg" if price is greater than
$6000 (condition1, variable "pricedummy") or if the car is of foreign
origin (condition 2, variable "foreign"). Then the code below should
do what you want. Also, it might be a good idea to plot the kernel
density estimates when considering tail-behaviour of distributions.
Else if you only have one conditioning variable (case1, cond_var==1;
case 2, cond_var==0), then Martin's code is probably more useful.

/* More on bootstrapping percentiles */
sysuse auto, clear
g pricedummy=(price>6000)
tab pricedummy
cap prog drop pctile_bs
program define pctile_bs, rclass
	version 10
	syntax varlist(max=3 min=3) [if] [in]
	marksample touse
	tokenize `varlist'
	local first `1'
	macro shift
	local second `1'
	macro shift
	local third `1'
	_pctile `first' if (`touse' & `second'==1), percentiles(5)
	scalar pc1 = r(r1)
	_pctile `first' if (`touse' & `third'==1), percentiles(5)
	scalar pc2 = r(r1)
	return scalar dpc = pc1-pc2
	ereturn post, esample(`touse')
end
bootstrap  Dpc = r(dpc), reps(2000) dots: pctile_bs mpg foreign pricedummy
twoway (kdensity mpg if foreign==1) (kdensity mpg if pricedummy==1,
legend(order(1 "foreign" 2 "pricedummy")))
/* end */

Simply substitute your variables in the line as follows:
bootstrap  Dpc = r(dpc), reps(2000) dots: pctile_bs X Y Z