Re: st: use of offset with xtlogit

Subject   Re: st: use of offset with xtlogit
Date   Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:04:00 -0400

Sorry, the prior graph is not illustrative of the right problem--if
the mean of y is exp(x) where x is a linear combination of some
observed RHS variables Xb plus distance, then the probability that y
is at least 1 looks like the solid line in

tw function y=gammap(1,exp(x)),ra(-5 5)||function y=invlogit(x),ra(-5 5)

where x varies with distance, and the dashed line is your logit model.

But I guess the real problem is that you don't think the Poisson
distribution is right for your model, and you don't know what family
of distributions the DGP uses, which suggests semiparametric
estimation...