st: sample adjustment by substitution instead of weighting

From   Dirk Enzmann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: sample adjustment by substitution instead of weighting
Date   Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:08:19 +0200

Did anyone of the StatList community ever encounter a method to adjust a sample to the population (according to some criteria such as the age or gender distribution) that uses a method that might be called "adjustment by substitution" (or similar)? The basic idea is to delete some cases and replacing them randomly with duplicates *of the same sample* (!) such that the number of cases of the original sample remains unchanged and that the sample is adjusted to the distribution of certain variables of the population (I don't mean that you try to substitute a missing/lacking case by resampling from the population)?

I ask this because I have serious doubts whether this procedure is reasonable (creating populations weights seems to be much better), but I would nevertheless like to know whether this procedure is/has been actually used and/or whether there exists a publication that discusses this method.

Yours,
Dirk

Dr. Dirk Enzmann
Institute of Criminal Sciences