st: Coding question: transactions panel dataset

From   Marcus Casey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Coding question: transactions panel dataset
Date   Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:46:41 -0400

Hi,

I have a question about an efficient coding scheme to calculate the
types of transactions over time in an unbalanced panel and
would appreciate a little help here.

My dataset has the following structure:

id 	year 	tract		price 	white	 black 	hispanic
1      1997	1		123		1		0		0
1	2000	1		145         0              1             0
2	1998	1		230         0              1             0
2	2001	1		236         0		1		0
2	2006	1		300		0		0		1
3	2002	3		250		1		0		0
3	2006	3		275		1		0		0
4	1998	2		235		0		0		1
4	2002	2		220		1		0		0
4	2006	2		245		0		1		0

I would code the following quantities for each id and,

(1) a separate indicator for each transaction that labels whether it
is white-white, white-black, black-white, hisp-white, etc. and
temporal ordering.

(2) the difference in transaction price for each type of transaction
described above.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me with this
problem.

Regards,
Marcus