st: use of offset with xtlogit

Subject   st: use of offset with xtlogit
Date   Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:20:19 +0100 (BST)

Dear Statalisters,

I'm investigating the relationship between the number of bats recorded
along a series of transects and the landscape characteristics of the
transects. I intend to model the count data using xtpoisson, then convert
the dependent variable to presence/absence and model using xtlogit.

However, my transects vary in length, which will affect both the number of
bats encountered and to a lesser extent bat presence/absence. I intend to
include transect length as an offset when using xtpoisson, but should I
also include it as an offset when using xtlogit? Does an offset work in
comparable way with binary data?

Many thanks,

Katherine Boughey

Centre for Ecology, Evolution and Conservation
School of Environmental Sciences
University of East Anglia