Re: st: Standard Error on a Survival median, weighted data

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Standard Error on a Survival median, weighted data
Date   Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:15:39 -0600

Median is the "standard difficult case" in survey inference. Since the
underlying estimating function is non-smooth, the really standard
approach of Taylor series linearization does not work. One popular
approach is cdf inversion: you first get the interval around 1/2 of
your distribution function (in i.i.d. case, something like z times
sqrt( one half * one half / sample size); in more complex cases,
appropriately more different), and then your interval on x axis by
inverting the cdf for the endpoints of that interval.  This is known
as Woodruff's method. I don't think I've seen an implementation in
Stata though.

See doi:10.1214/aos/1176347993, doi:10.1093/biomet/73.3.597.