Re: st: income classes as dependent variable

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: income classes as dependent variable
Date   Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:30:25 -0500

At 08:43 AM 12/11/2008, marcel spijkerman wrote:
Dear Stata users,

My data set contains data on income and a number of characteristics (age, education etc.). I want to explain individual income by the characteristics. Income is not known exactly, it is only known to which income class an individual belongs to. I have reasons to believe that income is not normaly distributed. Can I simply use an ordered logit/probit model or should I use another type of model. and if so, do there exist stata modules to estimate such model.

As Martin suggests, -intreg- may be worth checking into. Note, however, that -intreg- assumes the DV is normally distributed. But check the example the manual gives for -intreg-. It notes that you can log income, and illustrates how you can choose between intreg and oprobit. When it is legitimate to use it, I think intreg is greatly preferable to oprobit, but my understanding is that intreg is very sensitive to violations of its assumptions.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu