st: income classes as dependent variable

From   marcel spijkerman <>
To   stata stata <>
Subject   st: income classes as dependent variable
Date   Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:43:03 +0000

Dear Stata users,
My data set contains data on income and a number of characteristics (age, education etc.). I want to explain individual income by the characteristics. Income is not known exactly, it is only known to which income class an individual belongs to. I have reasons to believe that income is not normaly distributed. Can I simply use an ordered logit/probit model or should I use another type of model. and if so, do there exist stata modules to estimate such model.
Marcel Spijkerman