RE: st: 3 Problems in Panel Data Analysis

Subject   RE: st: 3 Problems in Panel Data Analysis
Date   Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:08:30 +0100

Fardad et al.,

A small addendum to what Nils and Martin have said, specifically
regarding the Hausman test of fixed vs. random effects: the standard
form of this test is not valid in the presence of heteroskedasticity or
serial correlation.  A test that is valid in the presence of these
problems is implemented by -xtoverid-, downloadable from ssc archives in
the usual way.

Why is it implemented in an overid program?  Because the Hausman test in
this case is a form of overid test.  The fixed effects estimator assumes
only that the regressors are orthogonal to the idiosyncratic error term
e_it.  The random effects estimator uses more orthogonality conditions,
namely that the regressors are also orthogonal to the group-specific
error term u_i.  These extra orthogonality conditions are
overidentifying restrictions, and as such they can be tested.  See -help
xtoverid- and the references therein.

HTH,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
http://ideas.repec.org/e/psc51.html

registered under charity number SC000278.