Re: st: RE: rowskew?

From   Steven Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: rowskew?
Date   Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:07:54 -0400

This version adds a -qui- prefix to the replace statements and removes an unneeded -di- statement. This will remove uninformative output lines. Note that statistics are not computed for observations with a missing value for any row variable. To override this behavior, add "if !missing(`v')" to the end of the first -replace- statement.

Here is Matt's code with a couple of macros to reduce typing. I've subtracted 1 from the row mean and also subtracted 3 from the kurtosis formula Matt used. See: handbook/eda/section3/eda35b.htm

**************************CODE BEGINS**************************
sysuse auto,clear

* Create local macro vlist with variables to analyze
local vlist "mpg rep78 trunk turn"

egen rowmean = rowmean(`vlist')
egen rowN =rownonmiss(`vlist')

forvalues i=2/4{
gen m`i'=0
foreach v of local vlist {
qui replace m`i' = m`i' + (`v'-rowmean)^`i'
qui replace m`i' = m`i'/(rowN-1)

gen rowskew = m3*m2^(-3/2)
gen rowkurt = m4*m2^(-2) -3

list `vlist' row* in 1/5