st: RE: RE: user input as scalar value

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: user input as scalar value
Date   Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:03:34 +0200

Is it at all possible to add a dialog box to this? The request could easily
go overlooked...

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36
Room 415
72074 Tuebingen

Fon: 0049-7071-2978184

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:53 PM
Subject: st: RE: user input as scalar value

Yes, you can do this.

A canonical exchange within the do file is

di "Enter value for foo: " _request(foo)

after which local foo contains the value typed.

See -help display-.

I'd rather take arguments from the command line, but that's a matter of

Rajesh Tharyan

I have a do file, wherein I have a few scalars which I am using to
loop , as cutoff limits etc. Is it possible to have the do file
prompt the user to input the value of the scalar, so that I do not have
make the changes to the do file.

Suppose I had a do file like

Scalar a=5
Expand a