Re: st: Auto-run program on the hour, every hour

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Auto-run program on the hour, every hour
Date   Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:33:15 -0400

Hi,

I am not quite sure that I could follow this thread very carefully,
but if the Stata is properly associated with the do-files, then one
can just:

start something.do

without caring where Stata actually is. What -start- will do, is
actually looking through the registry, finding that .do is associated
with Stata, looking through the registry again to find where Stata is
and how to tell it to open a .do file, and finally launching Stata
(with the word "do"). Here is what help start says:

   "If Command Extensions are enabled, external command invocation
    through the command line or the START command changes as follows:
    non-executable files may be invoked through their file association just
    by typing the name of the file as a command.  (e.g.  WORD.DOC would
    launch the application associated with the .DOC file extension).
    See the ASSOC and FTYPE commands for how to create these
    associations from within a command script."

Which means that you can just have a reference to a do file in your
batch to launch it:

inventory.do

 (but then you can't pause execution, that's where you need -start- )

Stata expects it's first parameter to be a command,
so "wsestata.exe a.do" MUST result in an error:

(199) unrecognized command:  a.do invalid command name

That's why the others suggested having the command -do- in your command line.

So we are finally coming to the real question: why does your batch
file actually work ?

What happens in fact is that -start- treats it's first string (quoted)
parameter as a window title (which for our discussion means it is
ignored), and you can write with the same success:

start /w "Radyakin" "C:\Documents and
Settings\Dan\Desktop\STATA/DB_INVENTORY.do"

and it should work too, even though I obviously have nothing to do
with the configuration of your PC :).

A more obvious test is to write:
start "Window title"

which is dramatically different from:
start window title

So the quotes are not just to counteract the spaces in the paths. They
actually change the meaning of the arguments that -start- parses.

Why would that be important? One day you might be surprised to find
that if you change the path in your batch file to, say, StataMP, but
StataSE will still be running as if it was in charge. Or if another
program reassignes .do-files to itself, your batch may stop working.

A more robust way would be to call the executable with the word do and
the full filename of the do file:

start /w "Window title does not matter" "C:\Directory
name\wsestata.exe" do "D:\My Data\inventory.do"

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
  Sergiy Radyakin