Re: st: Auto-run program on the hour, every hour

From   "Dan Weitzenfeld" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Auto-run program on the hour, every hour
Date   Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:43:30 -0700

Hi All,
Thanks much for your help.  I finally got it to work.  Your advice was
spot-on; it was Windows that was giving me problems.
For posterity, this is how I finally got it to work on my Windows XP computer:

1)  Create .bat file.  (Jeph's no-bat method may work as well, this is
just the way I was successful).
My .bat file was:

Start/w "C:\Program Files\Stata10/wsestata.exe"  "C:\Documents and
Settings\Dan\Desktop\STATA/DB_INVENTORY.do"

[note that I needed quotes around both filepaths, and did not need the
word do in between them]
You can test that your .bat file works by double clicking on it - it
should open stata and run your do file.

2) Go to Start->Accessories->System Tools -> Scheduled Tasks and
double click Add Scheduled Task.

3) Point the wizard toward your .bat file; set up timing etc.

4) Deal with these two key (no pun intended, statisticians) Windows quirks:
       -You must have a password set for your account, and you must
enter it in during the Scheduled Task wizard setup.  If your account
does not have a password, you need to add one for the task to work.
       -If, after addressing the password issue, you still get the
characteristically cryptic error "0x80070005: Access is denied",  go
to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904423, click the Hotfix link at
the top of the page, and download the patch.

Thanks again for your help, folks.
-Dan