Re: st: GNU Emacs, ESS and Stata

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: GNU Emacs, ESS and Stata
Date   Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:11:15 -0500

On Apr 29, 2008, at 10:34 AM, David Airey wrote:
I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I use and don't mind the Stata do editor. I also think the Mac R Gui is OK.

I may try to switch completely to vim after reading:

http://www.viemu.com/a-why-vi-vim.html

http://blog.interlinked.org/tutorials/vim_tutorial.html

and finding development of:

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

If you're looking for an editor that you can use cross-platform, then clearly vim (or emacs, or perhaps even JEdit) are what you want. However, if you're only interested in using it on OS X, then I'd also strongly encourage you to look at TextMate. This is a fully Cocoa application that is both a full-class OS X citizen but also allows you to leverage the power of Unix very easily (e.g., without having to pour through complicated documentation or learning Lisp). In fact, you could even write TextMate extensions in Stata itself! And its flexibility allows you to work with some of the unique elements of Stata syntax (e.g., ` ', `" "', many different ways to signify a comment block, command abbreviation, etc.) in ways that are very difficult (or even impossible) to do in other editors.

-- Phil

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/