Re: st: Weights

Subject   Re: st: Weights
Date   Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:26:50 -0400

Martin Weiss <[email protected]>

SPSS is using the wrong type of weight, and therefore will give you
incorrect standard errors.  See -help weights- and -help svy- and the
manuals for more.

Perhaps the large size of the Stata file is due to all variables being
stored as doubles?  Try -compress- on an extract and see -help
datatypes-.

Note that -mean- restricts to obs where all vars are nonmissing, so
instead of e.g.

ds, has(type numeric)
loc num `r(varlist)'
mean `num'

try

ds, has(type numeric)
loc num `r(varlist)'
foreach v of loc num {
 mean `v'
}

or just use -summarize- with aweights or pweights
(pweights=aweights+_robust so point estimates are identical, but
variance estimates differ).