Re: st: Gini coefficient of survival tables

Subject   Re: st: Gini coefficient of survival tables
Date   Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:45:50 -0400

Johannes Schoder:
Stephen points out that you do not have micro data, which presents
problems.  I am curious about what kind of inequality you hope to
capture by using the population dying each year as the population and
their age at death as the outcome of interest (analogous to income),
which conflates cohorts and ages. A more natural approach would be to
construct estimates of cohort-specific survival and to compute
inequalities across cohorts, or within cohort across country.  Can you
clarify what you hope to accomplish?

Also, note that survival curves encompass a form of inequality
measurement, since given an equal distribution of age at death, the
survival curve would drop from one to zero at a single age; an unequal
distribution of age at death results in a number of steps in the
survival curve--and the Gini coef seems a poor approach to modeling
that inequality.  At first glance, anyway--perhaps you have a good
theoretical justification.