Re: st: Equality of two multinomial distributions under complex survey designs

Subject   Re: st: Equality of two multinomial distributions under complex survey designs
Date   Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:32:18 -0400

Maury--
Suppose you make an indicator for which survey data is drawn from,
then use it to construct superstratum identifiers that are unique
across the two surveys and redefine weights so they each sum to the
same population size, then tab industry versus the indicator, like so:

webuse nhanes2f, clear
svyset
tempfile file1
save `file1'
webuse nhanes2, clear
svyset
g supstr=200+strat
g svy=2
append using `file1'
replace svy=1 if mi(svy)
replace supstr=100+stratid if mi(supstr)
egen pop=sum(finalw), by(svy)
g wt=finalw/pop
g suppsu=svy*100+psu
replace suppsu=svy*100+psuid if mi(suppsu)
svyset suppsu [pw=wt], strat(supstr)
svy: tab region svy

and interpret the F test as a test of equality of distribution across
svy.  This may or may not be defensible on theoretical grounds--with
any luck, others will comment.