st: Equality of two multinomial distributions under complex survey designs

From   "Gittleman, Maury - BLS" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Equality of two multinomial distributions under complex survey designs
Date   Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:24:32 -0400

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone out there can point me in the right direction
with respect to the following problem:

I am working with two independent surveys, both of which have complex
survey designs.  Both are designed to measure what's going on in US
labor markets.  In the first survey, establishments are selected in the
1st stage of sampling and then certain individuals within these
establishments are randomly selected to participate in the survey.  In
the second survey, households are first selected at random, and then
individuals who are working are then surveyed.  From both surveys, it is
possible to obtain industry of employment, and then one can calculate
the (multinomial) distribution of employment across industries.  I want
to test the hypothesis that the two distributions so derived are equal.
Without the complex survey designs, I think it would be straightforward
to do a chi-squared test, but I'm wondering what to do to take into
account the design effects.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Maury Gittleman