Re: st: Decile regression using sqreg

From   "Leonor Saravia" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Decile regression using sqreg
Date   Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:56:16 -0400

Ronand and Maarten,

Thank you very much for your responses, now I get why Stata is
considering the quantiles between 0 and 1, exclusive, when we use the
"sqreg" command.
But, may I bother you again? I understood that I'm having a problem
with the interpretation of the coefficients, because I can't
understand what's the meaning of each one of the coefficients obtained
with this command.

I'm working with some households surveys for latinamerican countries,
so the data I'm using has the next variables:

household_identifier     income    food_expenditure
123                               1000         800
445                                2980        1500
670                               500            250
.                                     .                 .
.                                     .                 .
.                                     .                 .
870                              15200          14000

The model that I'd like to perform is this:

income = a + b*(food_expenditure) + error

And I need to compare the coefficients for each decil of income of the
population of each country, something like comparing the coefficient
for the food expenditure done by 10% of the poorest population and the
richest 10% of the population.

I think that the quantile regression is the way to do this, using the
"sqreg" command, am I wrong?

That's why I thought that I need 10 regressions instead of 9, because
I need to compare the coefficients for each one of the 10th parts of
the population.

Thank you very much!

Leonor