RE:st: Gini coefficient of survival tables

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE:st: Gini coefficient of survival tables
Date   Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:32:19 +0100

> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:05:58 +0200
> From: Johannes Schoder <[email protected]>
> Subject: st: Gini coefficient of survival tables
>
> Dear Stata list users,
> I am calculating the Gini coefficient of the survival tables
> for 30 OECD countries for the time period of 1960-2004 using the Human
Mortality
> Database. I take years lived (from year 0 to 110) as income and death
> numbers as population.
> Thereby I use the Stata command "ginidesc death numbers, by(year)".
> Unfortunately I receive totally different results when I
> calculate the Ginicoefficient  "by feet" with Excel.
> So I am not sure if I used the command properly. Thanks a lot in
advance!

> Johannes
>
> P.S.:
>
> The data is having the following structure:
>

> Year Years lived    Death Numbers
> 1960    1                3400
> 1960    2                478
> 1960    3                488
>     .
>     .
>     .
>

> 1961    1                3200
> 1961    2                470
> 1961    3                472

--------------------------------------

It seems that you have grouped data, not unit-record ("micro") data. All
the Stata programs for the calculation of Gini coefficient that I am
aware of assume that you have unit-record data. So, you will
underestimate inequality if you use those programs. On the general
issues, see FA Cowell and F Mehta (1982) "The estimation and
interpolation of inequality measures", Review of Economic Studies, 49(2)
273-290, and references cited therein.

By the way, -ginidesc- is, in many ways, simply a wrapper for -ineqdeco-
(on SSC).

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Director, Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk
Survival Analysis using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/teaching/degree/stephenj/ec968/
Downloadable papers and software: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje7.html

Learn about the UK's new household panel survey, the United Kingdom
Household Longitudinal Study: http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/ukhls/
Contribute to the consultation on content:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/ukhls/consult/