Re: st: Gini coefficient of survival tables

From   Johannes Geyer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Gini coefficient of survival tables
Date   Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:32:43 +0200

Hi Johannes,

I tried -ginidesc- and it works as far as I can tell exactly how you used
it. However, I only compared results with ginis from -inequal2- and
-egen_inequal- and both (user written ados) show the same gini for the
first two digits (then they tend to differ, maybe rounding errors). My
conclusion - allthough majority vote might not be a good criterion for a
proof... - is that you may have an error in your Excel calculation.

Hope this helps

Johannes

[email protected] schrieb am 24/04/2008 11:05:58:

> Dear Stata list users,
> I am calculating the Gini coefficient of the survival tables for 30 OECD

> countries for the time period of 1960-2004 using the Human Mortality
> Database.
> I take years lived (from year 0 to 110) as income and death numbers as
> population.
> Thereby I use the Stata command "ginidesc death numbers, by(year)".
> Unfortunately I receive totally different results when I calculate the
> Ginicoefficient  "by feet" with Excel.
> So I am not sure if I used the command properly.
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Johannes
>
> P.S.:
>
> The data is having the following structure:
>

> Year Years lived    Death Numbers
> 1960    1                3400
> 1960    2                478
> 1960    3                488
>     .
>     .
>     .
>

> 1961    1                3200
> 1961    2                470
> 1961    3                472
>
> --
> Socioeconomic Institute
> Johannes Schoder
> Research Assistant
> Hottingerstr. 10
> 8032 Zurich
>
> Phone: +41 44 634 0614
> Fax:   +41 44 634 4987
> E-mail: [email protected]

Johannes Geyer
Deutsches Institut f�r Wirtschaftsforschung (DIW Berlin)
German Institute for Economic Research
Department of Public Economics
DIW Berlin
Mohrenstra�e 58