st: Gini coefficient of survival tables

From   Johannes Schoder <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Gini coefficient of survival tables
Date   Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:05:58 +0200

Dear Stata list users,
I am calculating the Gini coefficient of the survival tables for 30 OECD countries for the time period of 1960-2004 using the Human Mortality Database.
I take years lived (from year 0 to 110) as income and death numbers as population.
Thereby I use the Stata command "ginidesc death numbers, by(year)".
Unfortunately I receive totally different results when I calculate the Ginicoefficient "by feet" with Excel.
So I am not sure if I used the command properly.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Johannes

P.S.:

The data is having the following structure:

Year Years lived Death Numbers
1960 1 3400
1960 2 478
1960 3 488